I couldn't resist from writing this. Here are a few of the things I have noticed about Hawai'i that are a little different than Bountiful, Utah!
You know you live in Hawai'i when...
- You hang your clothes on a clothesline to dry because its so windy...constantly
- You can't walk around the streets or campus without seeing 40 stray dogs that like to follow you everywhere....
My main squeeze, Jiffy
- ......you end up going to the store and buying dog food for the doggies.....
- Everyone you see in public is barefoot. At subway, the store, walking down the road, getting their hair cut, ect.
- You never start a meeting or class without everyone yelling "ALLLLLLOOOOOOOOOHA!!"
- You fall asleep to the sound of the drums and chants at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
- You can't go on a nice run around the neighborhood without getting attacked by a herd of freaking chickens
- ....you destine to become a chicken slayer....
- You have no idea how to describe directions because everything is in Hawaiian.
- You are 2 minutes away from a white sand and turquoise waters.
- You have classes held at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
- You get wonderful 20-30 foot waves that bring our every beautiful surfer on the island.
- You have coconuts laying on the side of the road..
- Every bird you see looks like something from Avatar.
- You are weird if you get ready for the day/wear lots of makeup (best thing ever)
- You get into bed and there is sand in it
- Its beautifully sunny one second, and windy and pouring rain the next.
- You crave POG (passion, orange, and guava juice) like a mad pregnant woman.
- Going on dates doesn't mean going to a movie and dinner at a nice restaurant , it means you are going surfing on the North Shore and eating shrimp out of an old van.
- You see people carrying pounds of bananas on their shoulders.
- No one owns a bike that ISN'T rusty!
- You add boys that go to your school on Facebook and see this-
- Basically every boy you see makes you want to cry they are so cut and beautiful.
- The wind is so strong it blows through your dorm..
- Your attire consists of flip flops or bare feet, shorts, and a baggy t-shirt.
- White people become the minority...
- You always wear a swimsuit underneath your clothes.
- You see a sea turtle almost every time you go out to the beach and it isn't that big of a deal..
- The bottom of your jeans get crusty and stiff from the salt water.
- Your campus store carries 90% ethnic food.... 10% American food...
- There are always boys singing and playing their ukes outside your window.
- Everyone is beautifully sunkissed... except for me of course.
- Everyone has gardens full of extremely gorgeous and exotic flowers
- DID I MENTION IT NEVER STOPS RAINING?!!????!!!!
- No one needs a car... all you need is a bike or a longboard and your set!
- You have freaky looking Hawaiian dishes... but they actually make you cry they are so delicious..
- Fresh pineapple is always on hand.
- If you don't get a Melona (melon or mango flavored ice bars) at least once a day you are nuts.
And most importantly..
*You are EASILY the happiest person because you live in pure paradise.*
Even though things here are completely different than my little bubble in Bountiful, Utah... I couldn't ask for a better place to live. I love every weird, interesting, and beautiful thing about this amazing island!
Except the chickens... i'd be fine without the chickens....